Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Practice Makes Perfect

Practice Makes Perfect,
But only if it's perfect practice.

And just what is perfect practice?

Don't get me wrong, these aren't perfect paintings,
but the practice was good.
Here's how I know.
 
Any practice should include working on something you need to improve on.
I always work on perspective and in getting the highlights in the right places.
On this painting I worked on the highlights on the trees and in the grass.
I changed the roof several times and the shading on it.

I also like to practice on painting rocks and trees.
 So I added both to this practice session.


I am pleased with the mountains and the far away trees , but I will be working on the foreground rocks and the grass in the left foreground and just beyond is not what I want, so I'll also be working there.

I had to meet a contactor at the gallery this morning so I had some time while he was working to work on the areas I was not satisfied with.  You can see the difference in the foreground and midground rocks and I took out some grass and added other grass. 
I am now satisfied with this practice session.

Are there things I wish looked better.
Absolutely!
But I improved on my rocks which is one of the things I love to paint and compositionally, I am happy with this effort.

These are painted on 12" x 16" canvas paper.  I like the canvas paper because I don't feel like I'm wasting a stretched canvas for my practice, it is cheaper than a canvas or masonite support and it has some very good tooth to it.  (The feel of the weave in the canvas).  It also is very easy to store without taking up much room.

It's important to concentrate on the areas you don't think you've nailed and work on them.
It will take time and you will improve, after some frustration.  For practice, don't rush, stop, stand back and look at how it's coming together and analyze why you don't like something and work on that particular part of the piece.  You will feel success, even if for just a small part of a painting, and you will want to move ahead for more practice.  Artists don't get good immediately.  Many have tremendous talent, but they still must work on skills to improve their art.  They improve as they study their work, the work of others, look deeply at lots of art, analyzing it as you go.  Why do I like it?  How did the artist achieve it?  Why is his perspective so great and mine is off?  What do I need to improve on my perspective, shading, highlighting, color mixing, brush strokes and then go and work on those parts of your work.  As you work on the same thing repeatedly photograph it as you go so you can see the difference and the improvement.  Never give up.  All these things are what make your practice perfect. 


Having perfect practice implies that the result will be perfect, but
if you learn from your practice and move your work forward,
you just had perfect practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting. It means a lot to all of us here at River Run Gallery