Monday, January 19, 2015

I'm Abstracted

I Am Abstracted.

No I didn't mean distracted, although I am sometimes that.

But I'm abstracted.

I thought it would be fun to paint an abstract painting.

And to teach a class painting an abstract.

So I've been distracted while I've been abstracted.

I practice on a piece of cardboard covered with a linen like material.
It gives me the feel of canvas without the expense.
But during the class you will be painting on a stretched canvas.

I started several all at once.

I threw some paint on the support and then moved it around blending as I went until I got something I liked.

 This was one I put on every primary color, white and blended it and let it dry.

 This was all sorts of blues, greens, yellows and purples.

Then I put one blob, sort of in the middle.
Until I put that blue line in the middle I didn't really realize
 I had a sunset or sunrise.

So then I went for a sunrise and worked on that sun reflection in the water.

Then I added some palm trees.
I ended up with this.


You can see I worked the sunrise in the water.
Then I added the two trees.

This was lots of fun.

 
 The other painting I thought was a nocturnal river scene.
So I started adding trees.
Then I realized I had a city scape.
so I went to work adding buildings, lights, street lights,
and lots and lots of reflections.

This was fun.

But,
neither of these were really abstracts when I finished.

Then I had a third one and I didn't like where it was going, 
so I painted over my first attempt and began again.

I had lots of yellow and green background.
Mostly yellow, but various shades of light green streaks.

Then I went circular.
 
 I just started making circles and spring like circles.
I added some swirly things and and lots of color.
But it wasn't done.
I didn't really know where to go from there.
So I walked away for a day or two and then I came back to it.


  I said to myself,
"stay with the one what brung ya,"
so I went with more colors
and more circles.

I think it's finished and this is what we'll be painting on abstract night,
Thursday, January 22, 6-9 p.m.

Several people signed up already,
sight unseen.

They must want to play in the paint.
Cause painting abstracts is just that.

Playing in the paint.

If you'd like to join us, please call me 502-523-0663,
email me, slgraves6@gmail.com or
follow this link and scroll down to the painting 
where you can sign up and pay right there. 

This will be a fun night.
There is no right or wrong way on this one.
This is about playing in the paint.

Please join us.

If you would like to use your paint for your background to go with one of your walls, that's fine, but we'll run with it from there.
I think this will go just about anywhere.

Thanks for stopping by today.

 
 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting. It means a lot to all of us here at River Run Gallery