Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Art is Personal

Why is Art so Personal?

Art is personal because:
you create it,
you put yourself out there,
you're afraid you can't do it,
you're afraid to let anyone see it,
you're afraid everyone is better than you,
letting people in is scary,
you might want to keep it to yourself,
there's a learning curve
and a practice curve.

Boy, that's a lot of fear, worry and doubt.

Lisa is one of our beginning drawing students
and it can be overwhelming.  But she has hung in there and perserveered and improved.

I have been to painting workshops
and before anyone ever laid down a stroke,
I was sure everyone in the room was better than me
and I should just go home.

Usually when you go to a workshop that lasts for several days, you spend over $1,000, so I was staying and learning everything I could as I tried to get over my fear.

I get FEAR! 

I've been AFRAID

That's why I am so proud of all our students
as they overcome their fear and dive in to learn 
something new and often hard.

Lisa is working on a swan drawing here,
and she is learning how to draw as she works.
It's fun and hard at the same time.  

Ain't that right Lisa?

(What's the secret to learning how to draw, or paint or create any type of art?)

Secret #1.
Practice

Secret #2.
Practice

Secret #3.
Practice.

Are you seeing a pattern here?

Yep!
That's the only way!
Practice and more practice.

It's the same thing if you want to learn to:
play the tuba,
shoot hoops,
twirl the batton,
tie your shoe.

I know in painting, when that brush becomes part of your hand, your painting begins to flow better.
You begin to know intuitively what to do, how to correct  problems, and actually finish a piece of art.

FREE Advice
     Just keep at it!
Set aside some time to practice and learn.
Praise yourself.

(Don't cheat yourself out of some well earned praise.)

 Would you like to learn how to draw this comic figure?

This class is Thursday, October, 22, 5-7 p.m. and is $30.

Leave me a comment or
email me at slgraves6@gmail.com and we'll get you in.
Class is good for students 12 and up
and you'll need: a set of graduated graphite pencils,
a kneaded eraser and sharpener,
and a sketchbook, no less than 11" x 14".

All that can be purchased at Carrollton Office Supply.

Would you like to learn to paint?
I have created an online beginning painting course
that will teach you how to paint from the ground up.
Click HERE to check out the course 



Thanks for stopping by today.
Please feel free to share this post. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting. It means a lot to all of us here at River Run Gallery